Information about Somalia, Somalis, and Somali culture
as vast as the ocean off the coasts of Somalia.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Traditional Somali Naming System

Traditionally, Somalis names would have three parts - their first name, father's name, then paternal grandfather's first name. In other words, Somalis' names are patronyms. Several cultures that now use family names as a last name used to use patronyms. This is useful for others finding out who another person is. As a Somali myself, older Somalis would often ask me "who are you?". By asking that, they were asking for my full name - my name, my father's, and my grandfather's. Since many Somalis today are living outside of Africa, they cannot give their children patronyms as most countries require that its citizens use the country's naming system, instead their child's last name is the name of their great-grandfather or for the younger generations, their great-great-grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment